Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day One Malta

December 1st, I just spent twodays in London. I have a suspicion that I brought canadianweather with me because it snowed the entire time. It snowed all day nove 30th and didn’t stop till late in the middle of the night. This is described as adverse weather for the isles but for me not so much being Canada. I tt was nice to see the weather and made me a little homesick. I am use to seeing snow this time of year but lately in Canada we have had more rain than snow. When a few drops fall in London the entire city slows down. It’s a good thing that they don’t often get blizzards.

Right now I am waiting for my flight to Malta where I will begin the survey for the preparation of the show. I will be making a number of drawings that will be hung on the walls of the gallery with bull clips. I have yet to see exactly how this will be done. I have brought back ups.

Unfortunately I forgot to remove my cutting implements when I was shigting weweight onmy luggage and my box cutter and scissors where confiscated. I forgot to remove them. They are easy enough to replace but it is a terrible shame. It is more the fact that it is yet another associated cost of travelling to an international exhibition. I long for the future where I will have someone to handle all the small details. It is important that I find more time for my work and less time for the admin concerns of the exhibiting, etc. I should focus more on shows and opps in Mississauga than anywhere else, as long as I am in that area. It just ends up making more fiscal sense.

The stay in London was good, but I found no new inspiration for my work, I spent time on Tuesday afternoon planning my show and provided that I have enough paper I will be able to show what I want. I have worked out the source images and created a loose figuring. I may still make the collages yet for enlarge images through photocopying. I will not have space to work till the 5th of December when I will be able to invite the public into the space and allow them to interact with me while I work. The website says this and I hope that I will fulfill this intention to their satisfaction. I have a small video camera and will have someone take some images. Possibly I will ask my relatives or some students to help document. I have a couple of people that I have been trying to develop friendships with that are involved with the arts here.

In Rafal’s studio for his masters at the London college of arts there are two maltese artists. Patrick Mifsud and Adrian Scicluna. I think that maybe my relatives might know adrians family distantly. Malta is not that big a place but scicluna is fairly common as a name. I will mention it.

I think that is it for now. I will be typing again when settled into the hotel and after I am spread out, comfortable and contemplating work. I will be making something every day.

No comments: